Pan-Canadian AI Strategy
The artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning revolution is well underway, and Canada is at its forefront. From top-ranked educational institutions and market-leading tech companies to world-renowned researchers, Canada’s AI ecosystems are leading global AI developments.
To continue to foster this growth and maintain its leadership position, Canada launched the $125M Pan-Canadian Artificial Intelligence Strategy in 2017—making it the first country to release a national AI strategy.
- Attract and retain world-class AI researchers by increasing the number of outstanding AI researchers and skilled graduates in Canada.
- Foster a collaborative AI ecosystem by establishing interconnected nodes of scientific excellence in Canada’s three major centres for AI: Edmonton, Montreal, and Toronto.
- Advance national AI initiatives by supporting a national research community on AI through training programs, workshops, and other collaborative opportunities.
- Understand the societal implications of AI by developing global thought leadership on the economic, ethical, policy, and legal implications of advances in AI.
What’s in it for you?
By establishing roots in a country that prioritizes and leads AI research and development, global companies can:
- Tap into a growing AI talent pool
- Leverage national AI research capabilities
- Partner with leading AI research institutes on new technology developments
The Pan-Canadian AI Strategy is founded on a partnership between the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR) and the three centres of excellence: the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (AMII) in Edmonton, the Vector Institute in Toronto, and the Montreal Institute for Learning Algorithms (Mila) in Montreal. Together, they provide the support, resources, and talent for AI innovation and investment.